Oats Payasam Recipe
Delicious Oats Payasam Recipe – A Healthy Twist to a Classic Dessert
Oats Payasam is a delightful and nutritious dessert that combines the goodness of oats with the rich, creamy flavors of traditional Indian kheer (rice pudding). This unique fusion not only satisfies your sweet tooth but also provides you with essential nutrients. Whether you’re looking for a guilt-free dessert option or simply want to explore new culinary horizons, this Oats Payasam recipe is a must-try. In this article, we’ll guide you through the process of making this delectable treat, step by step.
To prepare this mouthwatering Oats Payasam, you’ll need the following ingredients:
For the Oats Payasam
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 1 liter of milk (full-fat or reduced-fat, as per your preference)
- 1/2 cup of sugar (adjust to taste)
- 1/4 cup of condensed milk
- 1/4 cup of chopped mixed nuts (cashews, almonds, and pistachios)
- 1/4 cup of raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon of cardamom powder
- A pinch of saffron strands (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of ghee (clarified butter)
- A pinch of salt
For the Garnish
- Chopped pistachios and almonds
- Saffron strands
1. Roast the Oats
- Heat a large, heavy-bottomed pan and add the rolled oats.
- Dry roast the oats on low to medium heat for about 5-7 minutes or until they turn slightly golden and emit a nutty aroma.
- Remove the roasted oats from the pan and set them aside.
2. Prepare the Oats Payasam
- In the same pan, add ghee and allow it to melt.
- Add the chopped nuts and raisins. Sauté them until the nuts turn golden and the raisins puff up. Remove them from the pan and set them aside for garnishing.
- In the same pan, add the milk and bring it to a boil over medium heat.
- Once the milk comes to a boil, reduce the heat and add the roasted oats. Stir continuously to prevent lumps from forming.
- Cook the oats in milk for 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently, until they become soft and the mixture thickens.
- Add sugar, condensed milk, cardamom powder, and a pinch of saffron strands (if using). Continue to cook for another 5-7 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Finally, add the roasted nuts and raisins, reserving some for garnishing. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, and your delicious Oats Payasam is ready!
- Ladle the Oats Payasam into serving bowls.
- Garnish with chopped pistachios, almonds, and saffron strands.
- Serve it hot or cold, depending on your preference.
Oats Payasam is a delightful dessert that combines the health benefits of oats with the rich, comforting flavors of traditional Indian kheer. This recipe offers a perfect blend of sweetness and nuttiness, making it a favorite among both kids and adults. Whether you’re looking for a nutritious dessert option or want to impress your guests with a unique culinary creation, Oats Payasam is the way to go. Give it a try, and you’ll be amazed at how easily you can transform everyday oats into a decadent treat!